Friday, September 4, 2009

Fisherman's lunch - Spam





So I went fishing. In fact, I was on a business trip in the beach city on the Gulf coast.
In sunset I walked to the pier to watch fishing. Two dolphins chased around schools of fish.

Spanish mackerels were hungry and lucky anglers hooked several large pieces.

Another one hooked a redfishof 28 inches. (Note: the redfish is from the family sciaenidae to which belongs the Adriatic species kavala or konj). A keeper! Fishing charters were coming back to the nearby marina with a rich catch of mahi-mahi, tuna and rockfish.


My daily schedule was tight. Work continued during lunches and dinners. I had fish for lunch, fish for dinner,  every day. Fish and chips, grilled grouper stuffed with lobster, oysters, broiled snapper, grilled blue fin tuna. Great fresh fish, big meals. But then again, I did not eat that much fried or baked potatoes in a year. Other vegetable was rarely offered. If asked for, it was slightly boiled, gummy, unattractive. Grilled, broiled, fried fish! It got boring before I satisfied my craving. And it was not healthy either.


Last day I finally had a free afternoon. Too late for a charter, but my partner offered (or I cornered him) to take me fishing on a lagoon some thirty miles further to the South.

A twelve feet long metal boat was perfect for a company of two, on shallow waters sheltered by sand dunes.


White sand of the bird reserve populated with cormorants and a kind of small seagulls stood out against a clouded sky as in one of my favorite Doutreleaux painting. We started casting unconcerned about competitors watching us from the beach.



But the clouds grew fast, got dark and became menacing. We continue casting undeterred until the lightning and thunders chased the fish away.




With our fish bucket still empty, we reached the landing soaked with showers. In the safety of our car we reached for the reserve solution and opened a can of spam.



Fishing does not know for convenience. Would be fisherman must first learn patience. Waiting for the right opportunity is the first lesson. Second most important lesson is, if you are fishing for a lunch, buy a can of spam, just in case.

If you have experienced fishing, you have also learned that fish is not just a right size fillet on your plate. Fish is much more and if you ever get bored with the fish meal, something is wrong (with the cook). I would like you to think how wonderful dishes one can make out of fish. Dalmatian fishermen learned how to do it. And they never get bored.













No comments:

Post a Comment