Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What is this blog about

If you have ethnic ties to Croatia, or for that matter to any part of former Yougoslavia, you probably remember distinctive flavors of seafood meals you enjoyed during your summer vacation at Dalmatian coast. I was born in Dalmatia and for the first half of my life I was getting imbibed with Dalmatian smells and flavors.
From time to time I get cravings for a simple fish soup, brodetto, popara, gregada or just for grilled sardines. If I decide to cook some of these delicious dishes, the main problem becomes to find the fish. I live about 150 miles from the Atlantic coast, in a triving urban area with abundant supplies of foods and goods from all over the world. However, fish is not like any other food, at least not the fish that gives so distinctive taste to Dalmatian dishes. Some species from Adriatic sea are just not available in United States. I realized long ago that my cravings would never be satisfied if I do not learn to pick proper substitutes from rich fish markets in my new homeland.

That's what this blog is about: traditional Dalmatian seafood and how to cook Dalmatian in United States. For those lucky who sail Adriatic along Dalmatian coast, it may be useful to learn what authentic Dalmatian seafood is and how to find it.
For the beginning, learn to say "bon appetite" in Croatian: U SLAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment